BUFFALO SPICED CAULIFLOWER TACOS (GLUTEN FREE / VEGETARIAN)
Filled with tender-crunchy buffalo cauliflower and topped with a tangy cilantro slaw, these tacos are a novel way to get your veggies. The extra crunchy cilantro slaw is the perfect complement to the texture and flavor profile. In fact, the slaw is so good, I usually enjoy it as a side, or as an afternoon snack the next day.
Gluten free, dairy free and vegetarian (that can easily be made vegan), this dish is delicious, nutritious and fun to serve at parties.
SERVINGS: 8 Tacos
1 Head of Cauliflower
1 cup of buffalo sauce, or hot sauce
3 Tablespoons of BACI Kitchen's EVOO
1 teaspoon Kosher salt, flakey style
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
8 small corn or flour tortillas
1-14oz bag coleslaw mix
1/3 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
3 Tablespoons BACI Kitchen Champagne Vinegar
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
Limes, for flavoring
1. Move a rack in the oven to an upper position (the first or second one) then preheat it to 450ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Pour the olive oil, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and onion powder into a large zip-top bag or large container with a tight-fitting lid. Add the cauliflower, seal the bag or container, and shake until everything is evenly coated.
3. Spread the cauliflower out onto the prepared baking sheet, but don't discard the bag or container. Bake the cauliflower for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and turn the cauliflower pieces over (as best as you can). Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake another 10 minutes.
4. Add the buffalo or hot sauce to the bag or container. When the cauliflower is finished with its second bake, add it to the bag or container with the hot sauce and gently turn or stir to coat. While the baking sheet is empty, dab off the excess moisture from the parchment paper.
5. Return the coated cauliflower to the baking sheet (I used a slotted spoon to reduce excess sauce) and bake for another 10 minutes. While the cauliflower bakes, prepare the slaw.
1. In a large bowl, toss together the coleslaw mix and the cilantro until evenly dispersed. Add the Champagne vinegar, mayonnaise and granulated sugar, stir until everything is incorporated.
2. Taste the slaw, add salt and pepper as needed.
ASSEMBLE THE TACOS
1. Heat the tortillas in a hot skillet, 10-15 seconds per side.
2. Fill each taco with the buffalo cauliflower and top with cilantro slaw. Serve immediately, with lime wedges.
WINE PAIRING: The stone fruit flavors and acidity of a dry Chenin Blanc will ideally match the robust flavors of the roasted cauliflower. Or, the residual sugar in Gewurztraminer will balance out the heat of the spice.
Start by cutting one head of cauliflower into florets. Cut into large bites. Although there will be some tiny pieces, try to keep the florets the same size. If your pieces are too small, they will get mushy.
Do not crowd the baking sheet. The hot air needs to circulate around each piece so they will crisp up.
To keep this recipe vegan, swap out the mayonnaise for a vegan mayonnaise.