THE ULTIMATE (EASY TO MAKE) STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
With just a slight twist on the classic, our juicy, delectable Strawberry Shortcake has all the makings of the perfect dessert. Flakey biscuits with crisp edges have a hint of lemon and subtle sweetness. Lemon thyme adds an herby freshness that is a complement to the buttery richness. Our Strawberry Silk is jammy and vibrant - with just enough superfine sugar to accent the fruit.
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons sugar + more for sprinkling
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
8 Tablespoons of cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon thyme (optional, but oh-so good)
1/2 cup of Greek yogurt (I prefer full fat)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 egg yolk (optional, for egg wash)
1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
Zest of lemon
BACI Kitchen Strawberry Silk
Whipped Cream, for topping
1. Turn oven on to 400 degrees.
2. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Stir in lemon zest and lemon thyme.
3. Add cold butter chunks mixing in with your hands, forks or pastry cutter until they are coarsely mashed up.
4. Mix together yogurt and cream. Add into the flour mixture carefully mixing until just incorporated.
5. Turn mixture out onto the counter. It is OK if there are still dry parts. Press the dough roughly out in a square, about 1/2 inch thick. Fold over on itself and press out into a square again. Repeat this process 4 times.
6. Shape into a square with your hands, about 6" x 6" and about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 6 pieces. Place biscuits on parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and sugar.
7. Freeze 10 minutes.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes in your preheated oven. Allow baked biscuits to cool for 5-10 minutes.
1. Cut biscuits in half.
2. Pour Strawberry Silk over the biscuits.
3. Add whipped cream.
4. Top with biscuit top.
1. To make an egg wash; mix an egg yolk with 1-2 tablespoons of water. This will give the biscuit a lovely golden crust and help the almonds and sugar stick.
2. Short on time? Substitute ready made biscuits from the freezer section, or angel food cake.
3. For a strawberry bomb, add sliced fresh strawberries to the biscuits.