LOVE AND LEMONS - HEALTHY, HOMEMADE LABNEH YOGURT CHEESE DIP
Labneh is basically a very thick, creamy Middle Eastern style yogurt cheese. It has the consistency of American cream cheese, but with a little more flavor, complexity and tang. The best part? It has all the healthy probiotics of cultured yogurt. Warm and toasty pita bread is heavenly dipped into this creamy cheese.
INGREDIENTS - You'll need a double-layered cheesecloth or kitchen towel and a strainer placed over a bowl.
- 32-ounces of full fat whole milk yogurt
- Salt - 1/4 teaspoon per cup of yogurt
Season the yogurt with salt, then place double-layered cheesecloth or kitchen towel in strainer, add salted yogurt. Cover cheesecloth or towel over the yogurt. Place in the refrigerator and strain for 24-48 hours (24-hours is normally enough).
- I place a soup can on the cheesecloth or towel for weight.
- 4 cups of yogurt will yield 2 cups Labneh
- Labneh will. last 3-4 weeks in the refrigerator.
- After 24-hours, remove the whey (the liquid that has been strained into the bowl), then decide if your Labneh is thick enough for your liking. Usually 24-hours is perfect for a "dip," but for a thicker, cheese-like version, I would strain for an additional 24-hours.
- Spoon Labneh in a serving dish or bowl. Create a well for the BACI Kitchen Lemon-Infused EVOO.
- Garnish with what you like, including: spices, red pepper flakes, everything bagel seasoning, roasted garlic, fresh herbs, olives, veggies, nuts and/or seeds, smoked salmon, honey, lemon zest or caramelized fruit.
- Serve with warm and toasty pita bread.