RASPBERRY SHRUB COCKTAIL (USING BACI KITCHEN VINEGARS)
Bottles of different types of vinegar are indispensable in our pantry – balsamic, sherry vinegar, a good red wine vinegar (or two) and more. Vinegar adds brightness to salad dressings, tenderizes meat in marinades, and cuts through richness in fatty dishes to restore balance. The good ones – like our cask-aged, single varietal Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar – also help to make a mean cocktail.
Though “drinking vinegar” is not what most people do regularly, the savvy bartender will slip in some sort of acidic liquid in most of their drinks – think lemon, lime, sour orange, etc. Once you begin to think of it like any other acid you would drink (hello, lemon juice), a whole world of sweet, sour, and slightly bracing options open up. Simply splash some directly into your drink.
For this recipe, a tart and sweet raspberry shrub adds complexity and zing when crafting this easy and elegant cocktail. Cheers.
RASPBERRY SHRUB COCKTAIL
Servings: 2 cocktails
2 oz raspberry shrub (method described below)
1 oz orange flavored liqueur Cointreau
4 oz vodka
4 oz club soda
Lime rounds for garnish
1 cup fresh raspberries
3/4 cup turbinado sugar, or granulated
1/3 cup BACI Kitchen Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar
2/3 cup BACI Kitchen Champagne vinegar
1. Raspberry Shrub: Combine the raspberries and the sugar in a small bowl. Mash well, cover with plastic wrap (with the plastic directly touching the mash). Refrigerate overnight.
2. Add the vinegars and stir well. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl, pressing on the solids. Discard the solids.
3. Pour the shrub into a sealable container and store in the refrigerator.
To make the cocktail: Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the shrub, orange liqueur and vodka. Shake well and strain into a stemmed flute or martini glass. Top with club soda and garnish with a lime wheel.
1. After overnight refrigeration, the shrub can be used right away, but it’s even better after a day or two as the flavor really develops.
2. For a refreshing non-alcoholic drink, add a splash of the raspberry shrub to club soda and serve over ice.
3. Vinegar, by the way, helps support good digestion and strengthens the immune system.