CAPRESE SALAD STACK WITH EVOO AND BACI KITCHEN'S DARK BALSAMIC VINEGAR
- 3-4 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, slice into 1/4" thick rounds
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons BACI Kitchen EVOO
- 2 Tablespoons BACI Kitchen Balsamic Vinegar
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small mason jar or bowl, combine your EVOO, Balsamic Vinegar, sea salt and pepper. Give it a good swirl or shake to get it combined. Set aside. (You can make this an hour ahead).
- Slice your tomato. Season your tomato slices with just a bit of salt and pepper.
- Assemble your stack (tomato, mozzarella, basil leaves, repeat. Top with a tomato slice). Drizzle with the oil and vinegar.
Eating Caprese Salad this way was, is and forever will be my absolute favorite way to enjoy a tomato. And, please, do not leave out the oil and vinegar...they are what put this salad over-the-top!
The Best Tomatoes for Caprese Salad
The great thing about making a caprese in the summertime is that pretty much any tomato you use will taste great. I personally prefer larger varieties of tomatoes, which, when sliced, end up being similarly sized to the sliced mozzarella. Most often I grab a variety of heirlooms from the farmers market. I love the way each heirloom has its own distinct personality. Big, bright red beefsteaks are also good contenders. When selecting tomatoes, choose fragrant ones that smell earthy at the stem end and feel heavy for their size. Avoid any with wrinkled skins.