VINE-RIPENED HEIRLOOM TOMATO GAZPACHO WITH ENGLISH CUCUMBERS
Wait until vine-ripened heirloom tomatoes arrive at the farmers market to make this simple soup. Using yellow tomatoes puts a fresh new spin on this Spanish classic. For the best color and flavor, choose deep yellow heirloom tomatoes.
The beauty of gazpacho is that you can marinate the ingredients in the fridge for an hour or even overnight, so all you need to do right before serving is rev up your blender. Garnishes of firm but ripe peaches, avocado and fresh herbs add texture and interest to the bowl.
INGREDIENTS - Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds red and yellow tomato, halved
- 1 cup chopped seeded peeled English cucumber
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons BACI Kitchen EVOO
- 2 tablespoons BACI Kitchen Champagne Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño chili with seeds, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1. Squeeze tomato juices and seeds into a strainer set over bowl. Press on seeds to extract all juice. Chop tomatoes. Set aside 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/4 cup cucumber and 1/4 cup bell pepper.
2. Combine remaining tomatoes, cucumber and bell pepper in processor. Add tomato juices, onion, orange juice, EVOO, vinegar, garlic and jalapeño; process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer soup to bowl; add reserve vegetables. Cover and chill overnight.
3. Divide soup among 6 bowls. Drizzle with BACI Kitchen Lemon-Infused EVOO. Top with avocado and peaches, optional.